The International 4

More
26 May 2014 20:53 #34814 by Deb0
The International 4 was created by Deb0
I know most of the people who frequent this forums are League of Legends fans (and I'll forgive you for that) but something has been quietly building in DOTA land and I, for the life of me, cannot understand why it hasn't become bigger news story as of yet.

As it stand, the prize pool sits at an astounding $6,826,152 USD with $5,226,152 of that being directly funded by the community. Considering that only a quarter of ticket and compendium point purchases go towards the prize pool this means that the relatively small (by LoL standards) 8 million unique players of the DOTA community have invested $20,904,608 USD back into the game for this single event since May 10th. This on top of completely selling out Key Arena in Seattle for four days in a little under 10 minutes should probably be making more waves as ESports as a whole is obviously expanding into the realms many (at least here in the US) never though it could get to but unfortunately I still think there is a majority stigma against video games being a viable career.

Thoughts?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lersar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2014 22:48 #34816 by Lersar
Replied by Lersar on topic The International 4
Extremely exciting, I haven't caught much of the qualifiers so far but I can't wait for the actual tournament. I'm really looking forward to seeing the production of this one given prize pool. Valve is getting quite a bit for each Compendium transaction as well, I hope they re-invest a healthy amount back into the event and into the community in general.

More
26 May 2014 23:08 #34819 by Deb0
Replied by Deb0 on topic The International 4
From what I understand a large portion of the take is being invested into coders and testers for custom games, new hero releases as well as into Marketplace content creators for all their work being used in the rewards such as the Immortal items, loading screens, couriers and the like. Obviously Valve is also enjoying their "hatmoney tithe (Lord GabeN bless his soul.)"

It is interesting to say the least. I would like to see Riot be more transparent in a similar way with the skins, event rewards and similar community reinvestment as well. I know the business models for both games are different but it appears these are the two horses in the ESports legitimacy race.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lersar

More
26 May 2014 23:35 - 26 May 2014 23:35 #34821 by Lersar

Debo wrote: I would like to see Riot be more transparent in a similar way with the skins, event rewards and similar community reinvestment as well. I know the business models for both games are different but it appears these are the two horses in the ESports legitimacy race.

Completely agree with this. There are several things that League has been working on for quite some time. I would be very interested to see how much they've expanded and what they are investing in.
Last edit: 26 May 2014 23:35 by Lersar.

More
28 May 2014 03:51 - 28 May 2014 03:51 #34825 by Deb0
$6,925,182 18 days in. Qualifiers have been completed and all attendees but the wildcard are known at this time. Two month to go until the main event.
Last edit: 28 May 2014 03:51 by Deb0. Reason: Grammarmmarmmar

More
03 Jun 2014 12:29 #34917 by Deb0
As a side note, the prise pool for TI4 sits at a little over $8.4 million right now. For a bit of perspective, this is $700,000 than than has been rewarded over that last 180 tournaments combined. o.O

You guys like LoL right? The prize pool for this single tournament is $3.2 million less than all the money awarded in the history of competitive LoL. o.O

More
03 Jun 2014 13:27 #34920 by Lersar

Debo wrote: As a side note, the prise pool for TI4 sits at a little over $8.4 million right now. For a bit of perspective, this is $700,000 than than has been rewarded over that last 180 tournaments combined. o.O

You guys like LoL right? The prize pool for this single tournament is $3.2 million less than all the money awarded in the history of competitive LoL. o.O

To be fair, Riot also pays a salary for the teams that compete.

More
03 Jun 2014 13:47 #34921 by Deb0
As do some top tier Dota 2 organizations. That isn't the comparison I was going for. It was something more along the lines of a three day tournament entering the realm of an entire games existence worth of prize money. Each of the 5 members of the winning team will become the largest grossing esports competitors ever, overnight.

More
04 Jun 2014 17:56 #34932 by Lersar

Debo wrote: As do some top tier Dota 2 organizations. That isn't the comparison I was going for. It was something more along the lines of a three day tournament entering the realm of an entire games existence worth of prize money. Each of the 5 members of the winning team will become the largest grossing esports competitors ever, overnight.

That wasn't the comparison you were going for because it doesn't make League sound as bad :P

Obviously its a great opportunity for teams, no one is trying to argue that. It's extremely exciting without trying to belittle the competition. Both are doing great things for esports.

More
04 Jun 2014 20:15 - 04 Jun 2014 20:17 #34933 by Deb0
Though I feel LoL is really close to hitting its competitive ceiling with Riot so intent on smothering its pro scene in absolute control.

Now that is belittling a game. :P
Last edit: 04 Jun 2014 20:17 by Deb0.

More
05 Jun 2014 00:46 #34937 by Lersar

Debo wrote: Though I feel LoL is really close to hitting its competitive ceiling with Riot so intent on smothering its pro scene in absolute control.

Now that is belittling a game. :P

Yeah, I don't disagree with this either. I'm not a fan of monopolizing competitions.

More
10 Jun 2014 05:41 - 10 Jun 2014 05:41 #34985 by Deb0
Update: Prize pool now exceeds all previous cash prizes given out in the history of DOTA 2 @ $9,145,681 USD.
Last edit: 10 Jun 2014 05:41 by Deb0.

We have 3316 guests and no members online

supportus