League of Legends

More
15 Apr 2010 01:28 #3791 by Davey_Boy
Replied by Davey_Boy on topic Re:League of Legends
Except in DoTA there's like 30+ hero units to choose from.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2010 02:20 #3796 by Daveyo
Replied by Daveyo on topic Re:League of Legends
dude you guys have to take a look at league of legends, i didnt realize we were trying to make that the lan rts game. It will not be successful. I'm 2 weeks in with a 6 month background of hon and im very very noob. If you think youre going to grab it at the lan and play a tourney game you guys are crazy.

Dota is the best shot at this since for 1, a lot of people have played it, for 2 noone is really a super expert on it. League of legends has a level system, where you get things to increase your characters permanently (not like cod where it's different, you actually get like +5 attack and +10 hp.) It's not going to be fun playing a lvl 1 vs lvl 30?? you only get 8 characters at a time, it's really just not a lan game, i dont know how else to explain it. The item system is crazy, probably 300 recipies and 500 items, and a million ways to build characters, spell power, attack, tank.

May be a fun game, but noobs or even amaturs are just fodder in most games much worse than cod 4 noobs, but similar

More
15 Apr 2010 03:07 #3800 by Nacelle
Replied by Nacelle on topic Re:League of Legends
As he said he's a HoN player so of course he's going to lobby against LoL. There's going to be a time soon where you're gonna have to buy it. Unless everyone plans on doing so, why not get up to speed on the free one? +5 and +10 don't make that big of a difference. And you only get that kind of bonus if you've spend 100hrs to get the stuff needed. There may be lots of items (recipes) but there's nothing to figure out. Click on the BIG item you want and it will show a tree of what you need. If you have the money for all of them, you just get it. Otherwise, click on the items on the tree, you do have cash for. Go back later and click on more stuff on it. There's no running back and forth to get items from different vendors trying to remember who has which item that is needed for each recipe. There's also a suggested list. If you're a noob, just click on one of those. Sure there's a limited number of guys to choose from when you first install it. But if you play for a while, you earn points to be able to play any of them that you want, not just the one's that are available at that time. And they're releasing new ones all the time. Being a noob at dota, I had to find a website explaining what each guy does. Without which a person just has to blindly pick one. LoL has that in the game.

More
15 Apr 2010 07:40 #3803 by Davey_Boy
ok, the whole recipe thing is also in DoTA all you do his hold your mouse over the BIG item you want and it says what you need. Also, you can just buy the recipe and that shows what you need when you're buying the other weapons, and once you buy the items required to get the BIG item it just gives it to you. So your argument for that is gone. And when looking for a char, in DoTA you hold your mouse on the hero unit and it shows all the skills that the hero gets. Maybe not what it does exactly but reading the name of the skill you can pretty much guess.
Seems to me that just about the majority of the group are fine with, or have already played DoTA. I'm ok with introducing another game, but I'm not ok with trying to replace DoTA all together with LoL. You don't have to play DoTA if you don't like it, but please don't ask to replace it.

Thanks ;)

More
15 Apr 2010 11:21 #3804 by Nacelle
The recipe thing is not gone. Sure I can buy the recipe that lists what I need. But which of the dozen places do I go to buy them? One of the shops is in the middle of the map. It took my a while of playing by myself and walking everywhere to find that one. Tell me how noob friendly that is. In a game where you need to be in the lane, to gain experience, to level up along with everyone who's good at the game, tell me what how standing there checking all the shops for the item you need is easy? In the last lan game I played, I only bought from the small item shop so I could just run out and actually be playing. I would have been there 10 minutes finding stuff for a recipe. With LoL, if you want a mana item, you go to the mana section search through those items. Because they're all sorted by what they do. If I need more armor, I go to the defense section and get what I need. One shop! I'm not sure how running back an forth between nearly a dozen shops compared to one is better for a new player. And after a bit of time studying, I'm not sure if I can remember where the items for more than a couple recipes are.

When you start a game of DotA as a noob, You're looking at a bunch of buildings that contain the characters. So you click on one and bunch of them are listed. Holding over each of those only gives you a summary of what they're about. There's no way you can see what kind of spells it has. You're just blindly picking. And there's no other way in the game to know what they are until you play each one. Google is you're friend in this case. But it's too late already. You're in the game. With LoL this is all available in the interface. So if I was at a lan and never played, I could be scrolling through them to see what I wanted before the match started.

When you spawn into dotA, after spending a couple minutes finding a guy you want; eany meany miny moe. You get in a lane and start to work. How do you know who's you friend and who's your enemy? It's not real aparent from a visual stand point. Ok so click on him and see. Now you've clicked off your own guy and can't control your own anymore, until you've click back on him. That's always real nice to suddenly realize your not in control of your guy when you're getting a beat down. In LoL, there's no clicking off you're guy. You're always in control. And every unit is well marked, so there's no guessing.

What about the spell buttons in Dota? Can you tell me what key, on the keyboard, spells 1, 2, 3, and 4 are? I bet not. Because they're different from guy to guy. I tried remapping them with my keyboard software, only to find out if I chose a different guy, that remapping didn't work any more. Just like in an MMO, I keep my finger in the keys and the arrow in the play area. Clicking on the spell icon and then on the enemy sucks. In LoL, they are always mapped to the q, w, r, and r keys.

I think we're seeing a pattern here. Most of the stuff in DotA has been taken an made simpler. That way you're not fighting the interface, but playing the game instead. Maybe it's because LoL is made by the same guy who made DotA? I had never played DotA before the last lan. So i know what it's like being tossed in as a noob. It wasn't good at all. I've caught on a little now. Here's question... Why did most people switch from CS 1.6 to CS:S? Answer that and you've got the answer to why we should switch to LoL.

More
15 Apr 2010 11:35 #3805 by Davey_Boy
I have a feeling this is going nowhere. You'll never change your mind, and I'm never gonna change mine. Although, I do have one last thing to say.
I did play DoTA for the first time, as well,at the last lan. And it only took me 2 games to make it to the top of the list in kills (next to Cory, but he doesn't count ;)). Maybe we just have a different learning curve for the game. Everybody does.
All I ask is that you don't ask to replace it. Can't we just be happy with playing both? I know I am.

More
15 Apr 2010 14:04 #3808 by Lersar
Replied by Lersar on topic Re:League of Legends
Nacelle wrote:

Here's question... Why did most people switch from CS 1.6 to CS:S? Answer that and you've got the answer to why we should switch to LoL.

Actually, there was HUGE resistance to the shift from 1.6. The hardcore players didn't want it to change, and considered all the things they made 'nice' as taking away the skill that took to play. The only reason sactioned tournaments run Source is because Steam would only sponsor and allow it if they used the new version.

More
15 Apr 2010 15:40 #3811 by Nacelle
So we should NEVER move on to the newest version? With that way of thinking, the games we should be playing at the lan are; Call of Duty 1, Team Fortress Classic, Battlefield 1942, Left 4 Dead 1, and Starcraft 1 when 2 comes out. I can even understand moving to HoN, though I don't like it as much. But sticking with DotA just doesn't make sense.

More
15 Apr 2010 15:42 #3812 by Lersar
Replied by Lersar on topic Re:League of Legends
Nacelle wrote:

So we should NEVER move on to the newest version? With that way of thinking, the games we should be playing at the lan are; Call of Duty 1, Team Fortress Classic, Battlefield 1942, Left 4 Dead 1, and Starcraft 1 when 2 comes out. I can even understand moving to HoN, though I don't like it as much. But sticking with DotA just doesn't make sense.

Every reply I've read through says something along the lines of: We're willing to play LoL, but we want to play DoTA, too. No one is saying it isn't improved or that we want to ONLY play DoTA. Starkiller said it best, why can't we play both?

More
15 Apr 2010 16:18 #3815 by jj_Sky5000
Replied by jj_Sky5000 on topic Re:League of Legends
My 2 cents

The newer games are great, But think DOTA is a fair game for all.

More
15 Apr 2010 16:40 - 15 Apr 2010 16:43 #3816 by Nacelle
Fair for all who know where the secret shop is. Ok, I'm done now . I'll play what ever is being played. I thought if I pointed out the differences, I might change a few minds.
Last edit: 15 Apr 2010 16:43 by Nacelle.

More
15 Apr 2010 20:11 - 15 Apr 2010 20:19 #3821 by Twodavez
Replied by Twodavez on topic Re:League of Legends
Nacelle wrote:

Ha ha, we did get some BF 1942 played at Nexus LAN a few weeks ago, it was good times! :-)
And if someone has a working copy of Team Fortress Classic, i think it would make a FANTASTIC old school tourney!
also based upon the fact that one of the tourneys is Flat Out 2, maybe it's an opposite LAN and the regular Tourneys are going to be older games and the old school tourney will be MW2 or BC2 or something else that's brand new :unsure:

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain
Last edit: 15 Apr 2010 20:19 by Twodavez.

More
15 Apr 2010 20:54 #3832 by Shroud
Replied by Shroud on topic Re:League of Legends
It's Pong time, all in favor say "I".

More
16 Apr 2010 02:40 #3845 by Leonresevil2
Replied by Leonresevil2 on topic Re:League of Legends
I have a copy of TF classic, on steam AND original disc if that works better for lan. Never played it myself.

Anyway, the thing is, we can play both (or all, if you throw in HoN), I thought we were just discussing options for playing, perhaps in the tournament. Every game is built different, and will suit to different players. If it can be set up so that everyone playing LoL in a tournament was on an even level, I would personally vote for that. I have the game, but I have not had time prior to the lan to play and built up in the game.
I think that was kind of the point, in trying to find what would be easiest for players to start playing. This is a major LAN, and for some people (myself included), it's where most if not all of their multiplayer gaming is done. Some of us do not have the time to play a game online for hours prior to a LAN. I'd say some of us don't have time to play much gaming at all! Kids, work, school, ... it keeps us from gaming sometimes, and so we may not know all the ins and outs of a game, or have played it at all prior to a lan. So everyone has the possibility of being a noob to these games. Thus, making a game that everyone can play is a good thing.
Now, I know you will probably say that, since it's a tournament, not every noob should be jumping in to play. Understandable. However, I'd say the first Trackmania tournament, and the Tetris tournament, would have been much less lively if everyone that thought themselves as 'less than pro' at the game did not participate. This is not a pro-gamer, elite LAN. This is for fun and the occasional prize. Having a game that doesn't take a lot of practice to just catch the basics tends to go over well (look at all the FPS games and tourneys we've had, no offense to FPS fanatics), and it sounds like LoL is more about simply playing and less about learning controls and interface. Both may be good in their own respects, but the discussion here would seem to be 'ease of getting into the game'.

tl;dr? In short: calm down, don't fight, it's all in the name of fun. Compromise: dodgeball? B)

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
16 Apr 2010 05:14 #3854 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic Re:League of Legends
Nacelle wrote:

have you picked up mw2 yet?

:-P

Anyhow the real point is that we posted looking for our tournament suggestions and noone brought it up. It wasn't until after the games were selected that LoL was brought up. It may be the perfect game for a tournament next time around. We get this every LAN, at some point we have to draw a line and select the tournaments and stick with them. That is why getting the feedback right after the LAN and during planning is so important.

Wes

More
16 Apr 2010 11:13 #3855 by Nacelle
As far a MW2 goes, it's not that I don't want to play it. I just don't want to pay for 3 copies of a game that we only play at a lan. It's not so bad with games like CoD4 and Demigod, we all can use the same copy. I did spring for 3 copies of BFBC2, but I can't do that with all the games.

In LoL, there are 2 pages in your character setup where you apply the bonus' you get for playing previous games. On each page there's a button that clears the page, returning all your points back to the pool. Just require everyone do that and no one will have an advantage.

Now, I know you will probably say that, since it's a tournament, not every noob should be jumping in to play.

I want every person to be able to play. If the guy setting next to me has never played and I have to tell him how, let's play the one that requires 5 instructions not 20. I was not necessarily pushing to get this tournament changed. I was trying get everyone to understand that there's a better alternative. I didn't see anyone pushing for change to the new game. So I took up the cause.

More
16 Apr 2010 15:26 #3860 by Leonresevil2
Nacelle wrote:

In LoL, there are 2 pages in your character setup where you apply the bonus' you get for playing previous games. On each page there's a button that clears the page, returning all your points back to the pool. Just require everyone do that and no one will have an advantage.

Now, I know you will probably say that, since it's a tournament, not every noob should be jumping in to play.

I want every person to be able to play. If the guy setting next to me has never played and I have to tell him how, let's play the one that requires 5 instructions not 20. I was not necessarily pushing to get this tournament changed. I was trying get everyone to understand that there's a better alternative. I didn't see anyone pushing for change to the new game. So I took up the cause.

It sounds like clearing the page would work well, sounds easy too. Just the trick of enforcing it is all. And I agree, LoL sounds like a better alternative, and it will probably be taken into account for later lans. To clarify, in "I know you will probably say", 'you' meant 'someone'; it's just an informal recognition of the argument, not a criticism of anyone particular. Nacelle, I do vote with you for LoL. However, this is now the equivalent of voting for Hillary Clinton to run for President (simply analogy, no politic flame-wars please); it's 'post-primaries' for the Lan, or post-election in a way. The informal votes should be kept in mind for future lans, but there's no restructuring and changing the lan this late in the game. Not that votes don't count, but they don't make immediate effect in this case.

I too want everyone (interested) to play. So we should play LoL sometime, but it won't be a formal tournament for sure.

In other news, I SOOO wanted to play Demigod, but my laptop sucks. :( :( :(

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
17 Apr 2010 18:55 #3901 by Leonresevil2
Tried the DotA in WC3, it is quite a lot to take in all at once for someone. I've played RTS, WC3, and games like DotA a little bit before, but I'm just not feeling it for DotA. At least I was the 11th person signed up, so me dropping out balanced out for even teams in one game.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
19 Apr 2010 07:14 #3936 by Dreyvas
Replied by Dreyvas on topic Re:League of Legends
Leonresevil2 wrote:In other news, I SOOO wanted to play Demigod, but my laptop sucks. :( :( :([/quote]

I definitely feel you, bro. Trying to play UT/Counter-Strike on my lappy made me want to break something. :(

More
19 Apr 2010 16:20 #3961 by Leonresevil2
A bit off-topic, but I've read that Google predicts desktop PCs will be obsolete in 3 years. Guess we'll be playing MW3 on our Nexus Two's. lol

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

We have 2138 guests and no members online

supportus