PS3

More
25 Feb 2015 14:14 #36311 by Wingcmdr77
PS3 was created by Wingcmdr77
So my PS3 finally had the yellow and red lights of doom yesterday with that error being traced back to a heat issue even after cleaning it out. Its 9 years old and a 1st Gen system.

Question to some of you:

Are there different versions of new ones out there without the PS3's built in Wi-Fi?

I went to Gamestop.com, Bestbuy.com and Walmart.com to price hunt for a new one. And found different specifications on their websites without seeing the Built in Wi-Fi listed as a feature.

Did Sony really make some with just ethernet cables and no wi-fi as a cost savings measure?

I would have gotten the cheapest 12 gigabyte one if I could have verified it had built in Wi-fi. Calling the stores wasnt very helpful the associates didnt always have any real answers...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2015 15:10 #36313 by draymac
Replied by draymac on topic Re:PS3
It is my understanding that all ps3 models had built in Wi-Fi, as they have never released any official wireless adapter for it. It was actually one of the reasons I chose ps3 over 360 in their early days

More
25 Feb 2015 15:21 #36314 by Lersar
Replied by Lersar on topic PS3
I haven't heard of any models excluding the wifi feature. Wikipedia has an article on their technical specifications that does a nice job breaking down the individual models, but wifi isn't listed (presumably because it doesn't change). In the connectivity section it does state: "One Gigabit Ethernet port, Bluetooth 2.0 support, and built-in Wi-Fi (except CECHBxx)."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_technical_specifications

Hope that helps.

More
25 Feb 2015 20:08 #36316 by Wingcmdr77
Replied by Wingcmdr77 on topic PS3
Yeah it does I think I'm going to call Best Buy and change my order to a lower sized hard drive aka drive the price down.

More
25 Feb 2015 21:43 #36319 by Lersar
Replied by Lersar on topic PS3

Wingcmdr77 wrote: Yeah it does I think I'm going to call Best Buy and change my order to a lower sized hard drive aka drive the price down.

Cool, that's always been one of my favorite things about the PS3, you don't have to worry about proprietary non-sense if you want to replace it with something later.

We have 1751 guests and one member online

supportus