Hardrive failure!

More
03 May 2015 17:53 #36641 by Wooderson
Hardrive failure! was created by Wooderson
Well I just had a hardrive failure! It diapered from my computer and I could not find it in disk management under administration tools. I put in a new drive in that is formatting now. With that said I don’t think it is the MB sata port or the sata cable. Is there any recovery tools out there that would help me or am I out of luck. Any suggestion are greatly appreciated

I kill CPU's

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2015 00:31 #36642 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic Hardrive failure!
from my experience a drive dying like that is a problem with the circuit board. If you had a drive of the same exact model you can sometimes swap them out to repair it or to pull the data off. Beyond that I have no ideas.

Wes

More
04 May 2015 02:52 #36643 by Wooderson
Replied by Wooderson on topic Hardrive failure!
Thank you for the reply. Sadly I think I am out of luck. I can replace most of what I lost, but it will take some time. Maybe a NAS is in my future, but it would be rather pricey

I kill CPU's

More
07 May 2015 19:58 - 07 May 2015 19:58 #36649 by L0rdG1gabyt3
Replied by L0rdG1gabyt3 on topic Hardrive failure!
Does the drive still spin?
Like its mentioned here:

garfi3ld wrote: If you had a drive of the same exact model you can sometimes swap them out to repair it or to pull the data off..

Even without that, sometimes you can use a docking station or external enclosure with a program like GetDataBackNTFS and recover data. I have done this many times when I worked at a repair shop.
Sometimes the process with GDBNTFS is fast (a few hours) and sometimes very slow (I had one take 12 days) but the data was recovered. There are also always 3rd party companies that specialize in this. Kroll-Ontrack is one that I can think of off the top of my head, but it can be expensive.
Last edit: 07 May 2015 19:58 by L0rdG1gabyt3.

More
05 Jun 2015 00:00 #36683 by JWLopez69
Replied by JWLopez69 on topic Hardrive failure!
I don't know much about data recovery, but I do know that quite a few Seagate 7200.11 Baracuda drives exhibited this behavior due to a firmware malfunction. there is a youtube video showing the fix for it, I have a TTL adapter that I use to fix these whenever they come into the shop, just thought I should mention it. If I recall correctly it affected the 500GB - 1.5TB drives of that line,. Was known as the BSY error.

We have 2936 guests and no members online

supportus