Rooted Asus Transformer

More
03 Nov 2011 07:11 #20686 by Arxon
So today I finished the root of my Asus Transformer. I must say it was the best idea I had with this thing. Battery life almost doubled. I can overclock the processor. Smoother transitions between apps.

If any of you have a Android device. Rooting it will make it run the best.

forum.xda-developers.com/index.php Has some of the best how tos on rooting.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Nov 2011 17:07 #20691 by Leonresevil2
Don't Android users wish the OS was good enough you didn't have to root, and had everything done from the start?

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
03 Nov 2011 17:20 #20693 by drpain
Replied by drpain on topic Re: Rooted Asus Transformer

Leonresevil2 wrote: Don't Android users wish the OS was good enough you didn't have to root, and had everything done from the start?

That's what I thought since iOS is so "locked" down hahaha

Custom Built: AMD Phenom II X4 3.0GHz/G. Skill 12GB DDR3 1066Mhz/Crossfire ATI 6850's/3TB HDD

Macbook Pro: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz/4GB DDR3 1066MHz/Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT 256MB/320GB HDD

Xfire: drpain
Steam: drpain
Live: Ocar
PSN: BillyBananas

More
03 Nov 2011 18:00 #20694 by garfi3ld
No root here with no major complaints. Rooting only allows for a few things really. Access to over and under clocking, the ability to delete apps that the provider forces on you, and the ability to tether over wireless without paying the outrageous fee's that the providers charge.

On all of those things I don't think any of the other OS's allow them ether...

The only other thing that rooting allows you to do is install other android builds. That is where you will see the most improvement normally.

Wes

• Kelf
  • Hear reason, or she'll make you feel her.
More
04 Nov 2011 03:27 #20709 by Kelf
Replied by Kelf on topic Re: Rooted Asus Transformer
Gotta agree with Wes on this one, I love my android, I've had a Droid, Droid2 and now the Droid X, and have been toying with the idea of getting the newest Droid. I will admit there are a few shortcomings with it but you'll have that with any of them. :)

More
04 Nov 2011 03:53 #20710 by Dreyvas
Replied by Dreyvas on topic Re: Rooted Asus Transformer

garfi3ld wrote: No root here with no major complaints. Rooting only allows for a few things really. Access to over and under clocking, the ability to delete apps that the provider forces on you, and the ability to tether over wireless without paying the outrageous fee's that the providers charge.

The only other thing that rooting allows you to do is install other android builds. That is where you will see the most improvement normally.

..that's quite a lot, in my opinion. :P

• Kelf
  • Hear reason, or she'll make you feel her.
More
04 Nov 2011 04:01 #20711 by Kelf
Replied by Kelf on topic Re: Rooted Asus Transformer
It really just depends on what you prefer. Some people like there Android as is (Vanilla) or some don't want to settle for factory preloads and like to root there droid (Chocolate or what have you) so either way one isn't really better it's just a matter of preference. :laugh:

More
04 Nov 2011 04:39 #20712 by garfi3ld

Dreyvas wrote:

garfi3ld wrote: No root here with no major complaints. Rooting only allows for a few things really. Access to over and under clocking, the ability to delete apps that the provider forces on you, and the ability to tether over wireless without paying the outrageous fee's that the providers charge.

..that's quite a lot, in my opinion. :P

maybe, but like I said no different than WP7 and OS5 as far as i know

Wes

More
04 Nov 2011 06:26 #20714 by L0rdG1gabyt3
Funny, I was just talking about this very subject tonight. My friend with his android said that since he "jail broke" his, the battery life is tons better.

I replied, "Apple is jailbroken, Android is rooted, and there is a name for it on WP7, but most people don't know what it is because it runs great right out of the box!"

But yeah, WP7 does not allow tethering without carrier activation right off the bat. And for the most part, most of the handsets don't support the feature anyway. Right now, just the Focus, and the new Focus S have the ability.

The main benefit we get from "unlocking" our OS is the ability to side load homebrew apps and ROMS, because mainly it puts your device into developer mode.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leonresevil2

More
04 Nov 2011 06:27 #20715 by Dreyvas
The ability to install custom ROMs alone makes Android a better platform than either of those, in my opinion.

More
04 Nov 2011 07:22 - 04 Nov 2011 07:25 #20716 by Plague
Replied by Plague on topic Re: Rooted Asus Transformer
I have a Droid 1, and I have to say from having it rooted from day one. I have found that the stock load (ie. Motorola and Verizon load) is very limiting and it isn't android's fault it is those to companies for limiting a feature rich OS.

Running rooted, has given me free unlimited brandwidth internet using my phone(wifi tether), I have been able to update the OS past the capped updates provided from verizon/motorola. They stoped at Froyo 2.2.2... and the android phone OS is up to 2.3.5, which when done correctly for Droid 1 runs awesome!

just my two cent.

Update, also 2 two time I had a tablet, the wifi built in was limited by the manufactor to not allow them to connect to Adhoc wireless connects (like my phone's tether), I had to root them and patch one file to enable it. And that was once again, only because the manufactor were limiting the android OS.

SO over all the issue with android and rooted to unlock it 99% the fault of the manufactor not the OS.
Last edit: 04 Nov 2011 07:25 by Plague.

More
04 Nov 2011 16:23 #20721 by L0rdG1gabyt3

Dreyvas wrote: The ability to install custom ROMs alone makes Android a better platform than either of those, in my opinion.

You can run custom ROMs on just about any platform. You just have to be brave enough to try it.

When I was running WinMo 6.1, I was ready to flash to a custom WinMo 6.2 ROM that technically wasnt supported by my phone, but thanks to the cooks over at xda, it did work.

From what Ive seen, one of the most versatile handsets out there right now is the HTC HD2. Not only will it run WinMo 6.2, its also been spotted running WP7 and Android. In fact, you can even DUAL BOOT the two! www.engadget.com/2011/01/24/htc-hd2-can-...nd-android-promises/

Im not really sure what kind of custom ROMS can be run on an iPhone. It would be interesting to see someone over at xda port Android or WP7 to the handset.

More
04 Nov 2011 18:51 - 04 Nov 2011 18:51 #20723 by Wingless92
I have used iOS in the past and I do think that its a good OS. I had nothing but fun with my iPhone 3g. I made the switch to Android for something different. The EVO 4G that I bought was nice when I first picked it up because you could turn off HTC Sense. After a couple of updates the phone really started to slow down. Was this Androids problem? No, it was HTC's. Once I bought the Nexus S I had seen the light so to say. Stock Android is what every phone should run. No need to have a skin on top on Android to make it different. What the manufactures need to do is created their own custom Widgets. Some of them are very good BTW. Stop with the skins overlays though.

I have played around with Windows Phone 7, not very much though. I tried it out on Josh's phone 2 LAN's ago and it was pretty snappy. It just wasn't as good as Android was at that point. I would assume that it has matured a fair bit since then and I would like to play around with it again to see where it has come.

Bottom line is this. Apps make phone OS's and in that department iOS wins. I would have no problem going back to a iPhone 4S but I am waiting to see what the Galaxy Nexus looks like in real life.

I guess overall what i'm saying is always try to have the latest phone. For Android only look at the Nexus phones and for Windows Phone 7 you might want to take a look at it. You might be surprised.

All three of them are very good but you can't deny that the apps in iOS have the massive lead.

Now I sound like an Apple fanboy, CHAAAAAD, lol.
Last edit: 04 Nov 2011 18:51 by Wingless92.

More
04 Nov 2011 18:58 #20724 by L0rdG1gabyt3

Wingless92 wrote: I have played around with Windows Phone 7, not very much though. I tried it out on Josh's phone 2 LAN's ago and it was pretty snappy. It just wasn't as good as Android was at that point. I would assume that it has matured a fair bit since then and I would like to play around with it again to see where it has come.

It really has. The Mango (7.5) update added tons of stuff. Deeper integration of social networks like Twitter and Linkdin, more voice support, turn-by-turn directions right in the OS, and much more. Most of the 2nd gen WP7 handsets have faster procs, and front facing cameras. My wife is actually getting the HTC Radar on the 8th. Maybe Ill post an unboxing video to share with everyone.

Wingless92 wrote: All three of them are very good but you can't deny that the apps in iOS have the massive lead.

Its very unfortunate though that people determine how good an OS is by the sheer number of apps in the marketplace. The WP7 marketplace has grown faster in its first year than Android did.

Actually its really funny to hear Apple fanboys say that their OS is superior because they have so many apps.... Does that make Windows better than Mac OSX because there are more apps to use?

More
04 Nov 2011 19:06 - 04 Nov 2011 19:07 #20725 by Wingless92
I wasn't saying that it is better cause it has more apps just that it has more apps.

Look, your gonna use what you want and more choice is better. That new Nokia phone looks pimp as hell, along with the 4S and the Galaxy Nexus. They all are great devices.

But here is where I draw the line. If you don't use one of these phones then you don't get to have input. It's kinda like people that don't vote, then you don't get to complain about the government. This is not at you Josh, but everyone.

I have found some really good apps on Android and i'm sure that there are fantastic apps on WP7. What really sucks though is you need to use the phone for a couple of months to really get the feel for it, not just a few days. By that time your stuck in a contract with something you MAY not like.

Bottom line is though, more choice is better.
Last edit: 04 Nov 2011 19:07 by Wingless92.

More
04 Nov 2011 19:12 #20726 by Arxon
Replied by Arxon on topic Re: Rooted Asus Transformer
Awesome read guys.

More
04 Nov 2011 21:18 - 04 Nov 2011 21:19 #20729 by L0rdG1gabyt3
For those of you who like to "root", "jailbreak" or "unlock" your devices, Microsoft, through Chevron Labs has allowed its WP7 users a way to OFFICIALLY dev unlock their phones without voiding warranty!

www.wpcentral.com/chevron-labs-now-live

labs.chevronwp7.com/

That means access to homebrew apps, and the option to write your own apps without the required $99/year MS Developer contract. Its a great way to get in on app development for WP7 without spending alot of money.

Does any other platform allow this? Im not sure.
Last edit: 04 Nov 2011 21:19 by L0rdG1gabyt3.

More
04 Nov 2011 21:55 #20730 by Wingless92
Nexus phones are made to be rooted, they are the dev phone and what all other phones are based off of.
The following user(s) said Thank You: L0rdG1gabyt3

More
04 Nov 2011 22:12 #20731 by Dreyvas

L0rdG1gabyt3 wrote:

Dreyvas wrote: The ability to install custom ROMs alone makes Android a better platform than either of those, in my opinion.

You can run custom ROMs on just about any platform. You just have to be brave enough to try it.

Well yes, I guess I should clarify. Your experience with installing custom ROMs on Android should be far better than the other platforms, typically. Far more people do it and they go through extensive testing and are regularly updated.

More
05 Nov 2011 02:45 #20735 by Leonresevil2
So I can't post here until I get that Nokia Lumia when it comes out?

I do have to ask, what are some of these apps that define or make any phone so great? I fell in love with the WP7 interface and design style (no manufacturer custom skin crap, and they only get a couple built-in apps, which can be removed). I really don't plan on getting many apps at all. What are some of these apps that really make your life better on a daily or even weekly basis? Since I don't have one of these phones yet, what am I missing?

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
05 Nov 2011 05:27 #20744 by Wingless92
I use Foursquare but that's on every platform. Mangler is another one that I use all the time. It's a vent client that is free on Android and works great. All of the Google apps work great on Android.

I'm not saying don't post but it does help if you actually own one of the phone OS's, that's all. No harm, no foul.

More
06 Nov 2011 18:05 #20767 by L0rdG1gabyt3
Some of the apps I use everyday are foursquare, and a couple of news readers, WP7 News, and Tech News Now. Now I'm using board express since it went free. Besides that, the actual integration of all the social network services make so I barely use the Facebook or twitter app anymore.
With it being hockey season though, I do have an app for notifying me of how the Red Wings are doing, and I find myself using the office SkyDrive hub for streaming audio, and taking quick notes with OneNote.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

More
06 Nov 2011 19:40 - 06 Nov 2011 19:43 #20769 by Wingless92
Sweet Home Alpha on Android is sick. You can set it up to upload any picture that you take to your PC. In my case it's to my server. Setup is simple and you can tell it to only upload when your on WiFi and plugged it or any number of other combinations. I really makes getting pictures off your phone simple, and you don't have to worry about losing them if your phone bites the dust.

PCMonitor is another great app that I use a bunch. Install it on your PC/Mac. It's a very small program that runs in the background. Install the app on your phone. Then you can see what is running on your PC/Mac from your phone. It works great for when i'm laying in bed and forgot to shut down Steam on the LanBox. Jump on the phone, go into the task manager and end process. You can run Windows Update from the phone along with a command line. Finding it super useful and it's free.
Last edit: 06 Nov 2011 19:43 by Wingless92.

More
06 Nov 2011 23:24 #20770 by Arxon
Replied by Arxon on topic RE: Rooted Asus Transformer
I might have to get PCMonitor. sounds like a useful app.

More
06 Nov 2011 23:53 #20773 by Wingless92
Might as well, it's free.

More
07 Nov 2011 02:33 #20774 by L0rdG1gabyt3
I used an app called PC Remote. Basically, my phone acts like a remote. Mouse, keyboard, everything!

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

More
08 Nov 2011 19:05 #20797 by Leonresevil2
PCMonitor sounds useful, and I suppose I could get into some news readers. However, it doesn't seem like the bajillion apps on Apple or the others have resulted in a high rate of quality useful apps. I'm quite sure my needs can be filled on WP7 in that respect, and at least I know they have a good game platform that follows with XBL and such.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.
The following user(s) said Thank You: L0rdG1gabyt3

We have 1863 guests and one member online

supportus